Upgrading Seafile from 7.0.x to 7.1.x

2020/07/05 by Paulo Pereira

~/categories/Linux #Linux #Arch Linux #Seafile

Upgrading Seafile from 7.0.x to 7.1.x

I’ve waiting to upgrade to Seafile 7.1 because I keep my installation manually and I wasn’t finding the *x86-64.tar.gz option to download. After asking in the forums, I discovered it’s just a change of name.

Don’t forget to read the release notes from Seafile.

Before upgrading

Reading the release notes, this version needs Python 3 and a set of modules.

Python 3

yay -S python python-setuptools python-pip

sudo pip3 install --timeout=3600 wheel Pillow pylibmc captcha jinja2 \
	sqlalchemy django-pylibmc django-simple-captcha python3-ldap \
	django-recaptcha django-ranged-response


The Memcached configuration also changed in this version. I wasn’t using Memcached, so I took the opportunity to set it up.

yay -S memcached libmemcached
sudo systemctl edit memcached.service --full
sudo systemctl enable memcached
sudo systemctl start memcached
sudo systemctl status memcached
vi conf/seahub_settings.py
	'default': {
		'BACKEND': 'django_pylibmc.memcached.PyLibMCCache',
		'LOCATION': '',
	'locmem': {
		'BACKEND': 'django.core.cache.backends.locmem.LocMemCache',


I started by stopping the services:

sudo systemctl stop seahub
sudo systemctl stop seafile

Then I downloaded the latest version (I use the pro version) and executed the upgrade script.

sudo -u seafile -s /bin/sh

cd /srv/seafile
wget "https://download.seafile.com/d/xxxxxxx/files/?p=/pro/seafile-pro-server_7.1.5_x86-64_CentOS.tar.gz&dl=1" -O seafile-pro-server_7.1.5_x86-64_CentOS.tar.gz
tar -xzf seafile-pro-server_*

cd seafile-pro-server-7.1.5/

Upgrade failed

The upgrade script was failing with syntax errors. I thought it was something to do with the Python 3 migration, but after some digging around I found out that the problem was in the fact that my mysql password had a ‘%’ 😐

I changed the password, reviewed the configuration files to update de password, re-executed the upgrade script and… success.

mysql -u root -p

use mysql;
SET PASSWORD FOR 'seafile_user'@'localhost' = PASSWORD('newpass');

Configuration files to review the mysql password:

Clean Seahub cache

rm -rf /tmp/seahub_cache/
sudo systemctl restart memcached

Review seafile webdav configuration

cd /etc/httpd/conf
sudo vi extra/httpd-vhosts.conf
<Location /seafdav>
  ProxyPass ""

Starting the services

sudo systemctl start seafile
sudo systemctl start seahub

And… seahub didn’t start.

After much digging around I found out that the problem was in some python modules.

Some tips om how I debugged the problem:

To start seahub mannualy change the daemon option in the gunicorn.conf.py file:

sudo systemctl stop seafile
vi conf/gunicorn.conf.py
daemon = False
seafile-server-latest/seahub.sh start

I had to manually remove 2 python modules and re-installed them via pip:

sudo mv /usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/django_pylibmc* /tmp
sudo mv /usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/django_simple_captcha-0.5.12.dist-info /tmp
sudo pip3 install --timeout=3600 django-pylibmc django-simple-captcha

Don’t forget to change the daemon config again:

vi conf/gunicorn.conf.py
daemon = True

And voilá:

sudo systemctl start seafile
sudo systemctl start seahub