I started using Ak Kernel after installing Xylon, as I talked about in my previous post.
I will show how to install Ak Kernel coming from another kernel an how to simply update Ak Kernel when a new version is released.
You can also read the kernel FAQ here.
Ak Kernel comes in two flavors:
- Purity edition, the stable version
- Cylon edition, a experimental branch
Install Ak Kernel coming from another kernel
If you are installing Ak Kernel for the first time in your ROM, follow this steps:
- Clear /cache (wipe cache partition)
- Wipe Dalvik Cache (advanced > wipe dalvik cache)
- Format /system (mounts and storage > format /system)
- Flash your ROM again (install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard > …)
- Install the kernel (install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard > 0 > 0.ROOT > AK.731.CYLON.zip)
- Fix permissions (advanced > fix permissions)
- Reboot (reboot system now)
You won’t lose your data by doing this! Only the /system partition is formated, your /data partition won’t be touched.
Still always backup first!
Updating Ak Kernel
When a new update is available just flash the new kernel. It will wipe the cache and dalvik cache for you.
- install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard > 0 > 0.ROOT > AK.731.CYLON.zip
Purity vs. Cylon
When changing between the two editions I recommend you to proceed as coming from another kernel, as showed.
Ak Kernel settings
I’m still playing with the setting and will post my config when I find one I like.