I started using Ak Kernel after installing Xylon, as I talked about in my previous post.
I will show how to install Ak Kernel coming from another kernel an how to simply update Ak Kernel when a new version is released.
You can also read the kernel FAQ here.
Ak Kernel comes in two flavors:
- Purity edition, the stable version
- Cylon edition, a experimental branch
Install Ak Kernel coming from another kernel
If you are installing Ak Kernel for the first time in your ROM, follow this steps:
- Clear /cache (wipe cache partition)
- Wipe Dalvik Cache (advanced > wipe dalvik cache)
- Format /system (mounts and storage > format /system)
- Flash your ROM again (install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard > …)
- Install the kernel (install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard > 0 > 0.ROOT > AK.731.CYLON.zip)
- Fix permissions (advanced > fix permissions)
- Reboot (reboot system now)
You won’t lose your data by doing this! Only the /system partition is formated, your /data partition won’t be touched.
Still always backup first!
Updating Ak Kernel
When a new update is available just flash the new kernel. It will wipe the cache and dalvik cache for you.
- install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard > 0 > 0.ROOT > AK.731.CYLON.zip
Purity vs. Cylon
When changing between the two editions I recommend you to proceed as coming from another kernel, as showed.
Ak Kernel settings
To change Ak Kernel setting use Trickster MOD Kernel Settings. Don’t forget to donate to the developer by purchasing the premium key.
I’m still playing with the setting and will post my config when I find one I like.