Since upgrading didn’t work on my machine, I went ahead and did a fresh install.
As I keep my /home partition separated from my / partition (they’re in fact in different drives), I can install without much worries. I have to reinstall a bunch of things, but I was in need of a clean up anyway.
- Backup your data!
- Be sure you have the latest updates prior to this new release:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get upgrade
- Download Ubuntu. In my case was the 64bit version (ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64.iso).
- Check the hash of the downloaded file:
- Compare the output with the Ubuntu hash list:
- Create a CD or a bootable USB stick. I used the “Startup Disk Creator” in Ubuntu. More information here.
- Reboot into your CD or bootable USB stick.
Installing Ubuntu it’s pretty straightforward this days, so there’s nothing much to say.
I selected the option to install the multimedia codecs and unchecked the option to download available updates (I will do that later).
If you have your /home partition separated from your / partition, be sure to select the mount point, but leave the format option unchecked.
After the install I was having troubles with Unity. I couldn’t get to the desktop.
I logged out (Ctrl+Alt+Delete and Log Out), chose Unity 2D and logged in again.
Then I reset Unity to start with the default experience.
Finally I installed the NVIDIA drivers (System Settings > Additional Drivers), rebooted and log in in Unity without any problems.
Extra software installed
- SSH and SSH File System for my B3 server mounts
sudo apt-get install sshfs openssh-server
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:chromium-daily/ppa sudo apt-get install chromium-browser
- Ubuntu Restricted Extras
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
- Java (no more Sun Java…)
sudo apt-get install openjdk-7-jre
- HP Linux Imaging and Printing GUI
sudo apt-get install hplip-gui
rm -r ~/.dropbox-dist sudo apt-get install nautilus-dropbox dropbox start -i
- CompizConfig Settings Manager
sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager
- Gnome Sushi (file previews)
sudo apt-get install gnome-sushi
- Simple LightDM Manager
sudo apt-get install gcstar
sudo apt-get install vlc
sudo apt-get install gaupol
- Portuguese Aspell
sudo apt-get install aspell-pt-pt
sudo apt-get install gparted
- RAR Support
sudo apt-get install rar unrar
- Banshee daily PPA and lyrics extension
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:banshee-team/banshee-daily sudo apt-get install banshee-extension-lyrics