A friend of mine asked me about a Linux equivalent to Launchy, a keystroke launcher for Windows.
And that is GnomeDo.
- If you have an older version of GnomeDo start by removing it and deleting is plugins:
sudo aptitude purge gnome-do gnome-do-plugins gnome-do-plugin-rhythmbox rm -rf ~/.local/share/gnome-do/plugins/
- Then add the following software sources (System > Administration > Software Sources):
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/do-core/ubuntu hardy main deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/do-core/ubuntu hardy main
- Install GnomeDo (currently v0.5.97):
sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install gnome-do
Go to Application > Accessories > GNOME Do to start the application (it will also appear in your notification area).
To summon GnomeDo press Super+Space (the Super key is the one with the windows logo).
Know just type what you want to launch. If you want to open a Terminal window start typing Termi and your good to go.
Use the Down key to view all the options available to what you’re writing and he Tab key to navigate horizontally (you’ll get it).
- In Preferences > General select the 3 options related to the First-Launch Behavior
- Choose your favorite appearance in Preferences > General (I chose Mini)
- Check Always show results windows (you’ll see what you’re writing) (I’m having trouble when restarting so I turned it off)
- If you don’t like the Super + Space combo choose another one in Preferences > Keyboard
- Take some time going to Preferences > Plugins (some of them have options to Configure)
- Restart GnomeDo when you choose new Plugins
- Use the About button to discover how to use a plugin in Preferences > Plugins
My favorite Official Plugins
- Evolution: I just need to type a contact name to easily send an email
- Files and Folders: write for example a new folder name, click down until you bypass the available matches, click Tab, click Down and look for Create Directory (it goes to the Desktop); also add your favorite folders in order to quickly access them
- Firefox: I can easily open my Firefox bookmarks
- GMail Contacts: not only GnomeDo look for my contacts in Evolution, but also in GMail
- Gnome Dictionary
- Gnome Session Management: shutdown or restart in a zip
- Gnome Terminal: something like cp myfile /home/myuser it’s to easy now
- Google Calculator: do you really know this result? 1+1
- Google Maps
- Launchpad (not using it right now)
- Pidgin: it’s more easy to talk to people this way
- Search Google: write something, click down until you bypass the available matches, click Tab, click Down and look for Search Google
- Tomboy: I really enjoy Tomboy and know it’s so easy to find that lost note Volume Control: volume, down, mute…
My favorite Community Plugins
- AptURL Package Installer: write something, click down until you bypass the available matches, click Tab, click Down and look for Install
- Eye of GNOME Slideshow